View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013, 01:40 PM
Continent Thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilbegone View Post
The primary question is

This stuff devalues citizenship. What other Nation allows foreigners to sit in judgement over their citizens, laws, disputes, and further allow them to set precedence?

None.

There is no other nation which practices the generosity, goodwill, and tolerance for foreigners as we do. We roll out the welcome mat for people who hate us and give them low or no cost business loans or provide them with social services both not ordinarily available to citizens and overlook faults for which a citizen would be crucified, and it's killing who we are and negating what we have been.

And not for the better.

If you're not a citizen, you don't vote and you don't serve on juries.

To address your contention that malevolence or prejudice will be "sniffed out", my experiences with the legal system leads me to not entirely believe that premise, and how is that to be thoroughly done with the inquisitors dealing with people from unfamiliar cultures? It's not about what is being said so much as what is meant, and what is said in public might not be the same as what is said in close privacy.

Furthermore the slippery slope is

There is a lot of pressure at the very bottom grass roots level to let illegals vote on very local governmental and school district matters. How do you think it's all eventually going to turn out if green card residents sit on juries?
I still don't accept the idea that just because someone has a green card but is not a citizen is reason for disqualification from jury service. What would you say if the juror was in the process of applying for citizenship? Wouldn't this experience be a productive one in learning about our legal system? I'm sure that there are plenty of foreign legal residents who we wouldn't want sitting on a jury, but by the same token there are plenty of American citizens who make terrible jurors. I know because I'm one of them. I have some pretty strong opinions about the failings in the judicial system and when the attorneys hear me spout off about them they don't want to touch me with a 10-foot pole. However, there are a lot of good unbiased people who make excellent jurors and I don't believe there is any reason to believe that they can't be found among non-citizens. Now perhaps the Founding Fathers would have agreed with you and maybe it's a bad idea for one state to set a precedent like this. All I'm saying is that I can't get upset about the idea, and when I called for jury duty next month if a non-citizen makes the random cut just ahead of me I won't be complaining.

Ich Bin Ein Arizonan!

"I entirely reject the concept, however, of "anchor babies." If parents are found to be here illegally, then the whole family, children as well, should be sent back to the parents' country of origin."