View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 05:46 PM
SOS Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanfromfillmore View Post
The ICE official said the agency did not fulfill the county request on Montano or other identities because it has to adhere to its privacy policy.
That's what they told me also. That it was personal information, and therefore exempt. they don't release information unless they want to, and they rarely want to. It's not them per se. it's congress and whatever the current administration is. Now it's obama, but before it was bush, so both regimes continue the silence.
I've been complaining about this for years. The government has no problem allowing everyone access to federal court case info about citizens who are charged with any federal crime. I can use my account and look up case disposition on any citizen who was put through federal court for anything, and immigrants, legal or no, can access your federal case information, but you...the citizen are prohibited from accessing anything about an immigrants'..and once again, legal or no, immigration court case.
Let's be clear on why too; This policy is not meant to protect the immigrant or the illegals. It's meant to keep our prying eyes out of an immigration system ran amok. The last thing they want citizens to see is just how the system is being used and misused. They don't want us to see what little it takes for an illegal or an immigrant to stay in this country after having defrauded the system and/or committed crimes.
One of the greatest weapons we can get is public access to those files.