View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 07:00 PM

Happy Thanksgiving!

If you travel for the holiday, be careful. Kick back, listen to some soothing music, and understand it will take you forever to get anywhere.

We got an early quit today. I told the group that I don't fight the traffic anymore to get home - we work everywhere, I'm working only 40 miles from the house right now and got home early TODAY), that if I would have to travel to get home fighting any kind of traffic I would stay in the motel tonight and leave out about 3 or so in the morning. I'll do that any Friday evening if we're not working Saturday with a bitch of a commute (I'm not that tough anymore, used to drive some TIME and MILES everyday to get home, like 4 hours round trip for 140 miles (91 "Freeway, the worlds longest parking lot) while working 10 hour days or 240 miles round trip a day with lighter traffic working 12 hr days - won't do it anymore. Used to drive over 300 miles Friday or Saturday evening to get home only to leave for the same mileage back Sunday night or Monday morning, a thing of my past.

That kind of thing works for some, not everyone. Some just have to travel a couple hundred miles and more at 10 to 30 miles an hour, can't wait to go (Several might live [have their home] in central California or farther north). Highway 395 from Hesperia to Bishop during Thanksgiving comes to mind. Anywhere through San Diego county or the greater Los Angeles area sucks (including the Inland Empire - four years ago it took me four hours or more to go something like 90 miles or less from Van Nuys on Thanksgiving eve). Even in the mid 70's during the Thanksgiving Holiday where 395 and 14 come together in the Indian Wells Valley there was a very looong, very slooow line on Sunday afternoon between Pearsonville and the Green Acres Cafe and Gas station the Steinmetz's owned (gone, now under the northbound road widening) on 395 north of the 14 highway. Saw it every year.

Just for curiosity - I knew the old people who originally owned Green Acres (they're all dead now), the place had slot machines, I believe sometime between the 1930s and the 1950s even though (I believe) it was illegal.

Once again, happy Thanksgiving to all, even to those with whom we disagree.

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.

Last edited by ilbegone; 11-21-2012 at 08:07 PM.