View Single Post
Old 11-12-2009, 09:19 PM
"SZinWestLA"

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderraven View Post
One thing we need to continue to fight is the propaganda tactic of using the umbrella term "IMMIGRANTS".

The OBL tells the naturalized citizens we are "ANTI-IMMIGRANT" and we lose voters.

Unless you are talking about legal immigrants, the word immigrant, should be avoided. Aliens who obey laws and carry documents are legal aliens. The moment a legal alien breaks the laws, they are an illegal alien. Crossing the border without permission is unlawful.

That's interesting that you should say that because it strikes me that insisting upon the term "immigrants" is an obvious lie that people smell. In my experience, few people believe the veracity of the speaker once they use the term.

Anti-immigrant is a word in the American lexicon almost universally perceived to be a pro-open borders BS term. I've seen juries and television audiences alike react to it. In my experience, the fact that the other side often insists upon using it (not to mention the far less common undocumented citizen) immediately tips off to the listeners that they are being exposed to propoganda and bias.

Real simple, whether they have sympathy for them or not, everyone knows what an illegal alien is. Further, just about every one of these same people realize when they're referred to by a cleaned up term, they're hearing someone advocate for a specific point of view.

People who advocate for amnesty and rewards for illegal aliens currently in our country, commonly try to spin the subject matter they espouse. It has a fundamental ring of dishonesty that is perceived by people on the right and left alike, therefore, I think that's one of the reasons much of their rhetoric falls flat with American voters, and why the notions of the DREAM ACT and a "pathway to citizenship" have yet to gain much traction.