View Single Post
Old 08-21-2010, 08:41 AM
SOS Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PochoPatriot View Post
I got into this debate on Facebook. First, if a person or a group of people want to burn a Qu'ran, go for it. However, I do not believe it is appropriate for a church to sponsor this sort of event for a number of reasons, most of which are based on Jesus' and the apostles writings on how the church should function.

In my opinion, there is no good reason to burn any book. This sort of activity to me, smacks of Nazi Germany, and it lowers us to the Muslims levels. Someplace that I would rather not be.

This does not make me a Muslim, liberal or anti-American. If you think it does, then Nightingale is probably your candidate of choice, and that says more about your abilities to think for yourself, than it does about my patriotism.
I think the book burning thing is being misinterpreted. Some people burn books because they don't want the teachings in them distributed. But in this case, I believe, but am not entirely sure that it is a valid form of protest much like burning a flag.
I think the book burners in this case want to make a policial statement, or intend to offend the other parties involved as opposed to prohibiting their first amendment rights or their right to free exercise of religion.
The book burners might have done better to offend them by building a mannequin of an islamic woman with viel and bhurka, and then having a christian or uncle sam dressed character ripping it off her