View Single Post
Old 09-27-2011, 07:02 AM
SOS Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetibbe View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >

Apparently YES !I entered "sales" in the Monster job search, and Sacramento, Ca, and came up with 580 sales rep openings.

Then "mechanic" 15 openings.

23 truck driver jobs in Sacramento

538 school bus driver

189 project manager jobs.

24 accountant jobs.

313 nursing jobs

134 data entry jobs - IN Sacramento.

Law enforcement - 15

Security guard - 17

Fast food - 10

Carpenter - 3

Farm worker - 10

To land a job a person needs a resume and some skills or profession.

I think what Glenn Spencer was saying is that some people may need to re-train. I think also subliminally he may be thinking that too many unemployed are too comfortable receiving an unemployment check and may not even be trying.
There's not much in here for the re-trained. 10 fast food job openings in this sized county? That's dismal for that field. Likewise for carpenter. But sales isn't necessarily a "job". It's often pretty much like self-employment with the restrictions of a boss. While sales might be somewhat of a "job", it isn't necessarily an income. A lot of sales jobs are just an opportunity for the wholesaler to get a bunch of schmoes to sell a substandard product or service to an unreceptive or even resistant public. You might as well be a politician with a tax and spend or amnesty stance
I found no real "school bus driver" jobs. All of those lead to long haul driver, team driver, and commission based route sales driver. Long haul driver is a short haul to divorce court. If you're a long haul driver, you're a transient. Team driver is dangerous and unnerving. They might assign you to a truck with a mexican or hashibab who smells like curry and plays oompah music for hours. While you're asleep in the cab, your partner might be falling asleep at the wheel, or doing 100 mph in rainy slick conditions.
Only 10 farmworker jobs open? really? this is the harvest season..... Must be that all the farmworker jobs are only advertised in S-pan-yol Monster.
But that said, there are thousands of applicants out there in Sac looking for jobs that require some level of training or education, including my wife who is now "re-educated". I can tell you it is more than just abysmal out there as far as prospects go. Glenn might be seeing something we don't see, and he might be a bit insensitive this time.