View Single Post
Old 09-27-2011, 04:43 AM

Default Reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollahgondola View Post
this was on Glenn Spencer's site today. I'm normally a big fan, very trusting of his statements, and grant him wide leeway. But this I just don't get:

Are there numerous opportunities I'm not aware of out there?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >

Apparently YES !

There are !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However, this subject is quite complex.

Relating my own life, I'm now retired for several years. As a Young Guy I was always a very good worker with a very strong ethnic. After working in the USA for a few years, and a stint in the Navy, I went overseas and worked for 14 years in South America, Asia and Africa. When I came home I settled in the New York area in 1970. Worked for a major manufacturer for 10 years. Then got downsized in the recession. Reapplied for other jobs and went through three employers long term and two for a short time. I applied for jobs all over the USA and even overseas including the United Nations. As good fortune would have it I always found jobs in the New York area and stayed in the same house - 41 years now. It as tough but fortunately my resume and experience was impressive enough that three major employers actually let people go to give their job to me.

There are plenty of jobs now all around the New York metropolitan area. But some require a college degree, some are in skilled nursing, some are unskilled, low wage. Many unemployed do not have the skills or education to fill many openings. A person who is really desperate may have to relocate !

There are presently many Federal jobs available. UPS was hiring. The Border Patrol is hiring.

Here's the Monster.com website. http://promotions.monster.com/keywor...mc_n=olmsrchtm

I entered "sales" in the Monster job search, and Sacramento, Ca, and came up with 580 sales rep openings.

Then "mechanic" 15 openings.

23 truck driver jobs in Sacramento

538 school bus driver

189 project manager jobs.

24 accountant jobs.

313 nursing jobs

134 data entry jobs - IN Sacramento.

Law enforcement - 15

Security guard - 17

Fast food - 10

Carpenter - 3

Farm worker - 10

To land a job a person needs a resume and some skills or profession.

I think what Glenn Spencer was saying is that some people may need to re-train. I think also subliminally he may be thinking that too many unemployed are too comfortable receiving an unemployment check and may not even be trying.

Last edited by wetibbe; 09-27-2011 at 05:18 AM.