View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanfromfillmore View Post
Publishers can publish what they want, it's their first amendment right. And I disagree with you on where and what will get people excited. I know for a fact that an informed parent is going to become much more active and voice their displeasure at those in charge if it directed at the school board which is local than a publishing house that may be thousands of miles away. I believe that Texas has a great deal to do with what text books our schools are receiving.

I'm just pleased that there is more focus on what our schools are doing, or should I say, not doing correctly. It all starts in our schools.
Sure, parents and anybody else who might be concerned don't know what's being published out there until they actually see a copy. And if parents don't have these weird programs in their schools, they won't appreciate what is going on. I haven't seen a copy of any of this stuff and I can't imagine where I might bump into one.

But, I think it is worthwhile to think all the way to the bottom of things. People can publish what they want to publish, but they don't have to publish what they find abhorent either. Some publisher out there looked at what one of their writers created and decided to publish it and this decision has its consequences in these troubled school districts. We deserve to know who these people are and why they think this kind of thing is acceptable, not to silence them against their right to free speech, but to get a better idea what is going on.