View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 01:02 PM

Got some new books and this sort of thing is what's being taught in school...

Roots of Chicano politics, 1600 - 1940 by UCLA history professor Juan Gomez - Quinones

Chicano Politics Reality and promise 1940 - 1990
by Juan Gomez - Quinones

My History, not yours by UC Berkely English professor Genaro M. Padilla

I skimmed through them and have began reading the first.

My first impressions:

Gomez Quinones is pretty slick in the way he presents his race obsession, mixing fact with a lot of cleverly written insertions which easily transmits his race obsession to the reader. It seems a given everyone who went to the northern frontier was mestizo (the endless "the border crossed us" race mantra when fact is that most ancestral "Latinos" did in fact cross the border after 1848), notwithstanding the facts of the sparse colonization of the upper Rio Grande in New Mexico and southern Colorado about 1600 with Spaniards, white Criollos, Jews and Spanish Muslims (escaping the inquisition) and Criollo and Peninsular Spaniards arriving to colonize coastal California in 1769 (Late 18th century colonization of Southern and Eastern Texas may have been somewhat different notwithstanding Spaniards and Canary Islanders who migrated to Tejas, have to check further. The later northern frontier ((located roughly about the present border)) was a little more colorblind in favor of Indian fighting ability and relative accumulated wealth. The Comanches and Apaches raided deep into Mexico and were hell on wheels from Arizona to Texas.).

What he doesn't cleverly state outright he cleverly insinuates by the wording: He states that Sor Juana (remarkable nun who had a passion for learning, 1651 - 1695) wrote poems in Nahuatl, the subliminally transmitted conclusion is that she must be must be a Mexican Indian or half breed Aztec. What he doesn't say: She was the illegitimate daughter of a Peninsular Basque and her maternal grandparents were Andalusian Spaniards, that Nahua was learned by desire (didn't grow up in it or need it to communicate), that she may have had help with composing the (only) two poems attributed to her in Nahua, and the two Nahua poems were written in a Castilian style.

In skimming through the books, I came across a reference to lynching "Mexicans" ("by hate filled Anglos"). What is not clarified: Anglos were lynched by other Anglos by about a rate of three times as "Mexicans" were lynched in Texas, and blacks across the south were lynched at about a rate of three times as whites. Google Lynching Mexico https://www.google.com/search?q=Lync...ient=firefox-a and you'll find all kinds of examples of Mexicans being lynched by other Mexicans in Mexico for just about anything you can think of, including molesting young children. Juan doesn't state all the facts.

[Look beyond wikipedia, can be a nice starting point but often way slanted - sort of like the professor who cites his own previously published work and all sorts of out of context quotes from the works of others (who've done the same with other compiled interpretations) as researched points and shill rags like Voce De Aztlan are blatant racist versions of Weekly World News. You can find all sorts of scurrilous stuff on the internet. Note how wikipedia's entry Anti Mexican Sentiment was worked to the top of the google page of links about Mexican nationals lynching each other in Mexico.

There was also something I skimmed to which sounded like everyone with a brown skin and a Spanish last name in the US during the 1930's were politically active communists. I asked about that from some of the older people from the local barrios (Older than Gomez Quinones who became a professor in 1969) - BS. One said that it sounds like the man believes everything he's told.

He even mentions my favorite brown racist, UCR Professor Armando Navarro in the second book.

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.

Last edited by ilbegone; 09-29-2012 at 02:17 PM.