Save Our State

Save Our State (http://www.saveourstate.info/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.saveourstate.info/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Republican establishment turn on Romney (http://www.saveourstate.info/showthread.php?t=7280)

Greg in LA 11-24-2012 09:04 PM

Republican establishment turn on Romney

Isn't it interesting how the Republican establishment turns on Romney after the Republican defeat. With so many currying jobs and positions in his administration in the months before the election, then those same people are the first to criticize and blame Romney after the defeat. Of course those same people are blaming it all on Romney's position on immigration. What's interesting is Louisiana Gov. Jindahl is loudly calling for Amnesty. With friends like these, who needs enemies.

What can I say. Republicans, if they listen to Jindahl and Gingrich then they want to be double losers.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...st_read_module

wetibbe 11-25-2012 06:18 AM

Deplorable.

The longer I live, the more I learn, the more disgusted I become with the human race and particularly a segment of the American population. All the more so about politicians, the media and corporate America.

We truly have an inordinate number of dysfunctional, corrupt, disingenuous surplus.

I endorsed Mitt in June 2011. I still endorse him. He was, in my opinion, an excellent candidate that would have done a really good job.

Bill O'Reilly had some Hollywood actors on a few days ago and asked why Hollywood was so liberal and endorsed Obama. Fascinating replies. Most we actually conservative Republicans.

One in particular said: The Liberals are empathetic and the Conservatives are logical. Good response !

Another said: We have a lot of excessive baggage in the population. O'Reilly pumped him for a reply and he said about 45%. Surprisingly I am also of the opinion that around 45% of the population is excess baggage.

Ayatollahgondola 11-25-2012 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wetibbe (Post 22235)
Another said: We have a lot of excessive baggage in the population. O'Reilly pumped him for a reply and he said about 45%. Surprisingly I am also of the opinion that around 45% of the population is excess baggage.

And here is where the republicans mortally would themselves with their mouths. The democrats are way too crafty to villainize the poor...or excess as you call them. They use them instead. A fate much worse for the used, but none-the-less more harmful to the republicans. If republicans are to compete, they must use more restraint and take a different tack on non-producing electors. Think of it like they're family...kids for instance, and you have to instill values that reflect your own, but without driving them away. Do you tell your kids they are worthless drags on society, will never amount to much, and should be cut off from every available source of your assets? Sadly many parents do, but it doesn't work out that well for all concerned. Would those families be seen as father of the year types whom others would like to emulate or come to for guidance? They wouldn't, would they?

Republicans must use far more restraint in the way the teachings are delivered out there.

As for people like jindal and christie and such. They are your Arnold types. They are actually creating a new party without declaring it yet. Arnold was not a republican nor a democrat. He acted as both, but wore the label of one to stay in the game. Running as an independent would have hobbled him in the recall, and beyond, possibly causing his loss. There's a growing bunch of Arnolds out there, plotting to steal the republican electors away from their values, and it is likely they are working in concert

ilbegone 11-25-2012 07:01 AM

Politics is a nasty business.

The Republicans did a lot of Obama's campaign work for him during the Republican primary. Romney had a theme about reaching across the isle, in general practice Republicans can't even reach out to one another.

I suppose the election results must be blamed on the one issue of immigration, but immigration was a few notches down in the polls from worry about the economy.

The "youth vote":

Quote:

An analysis by the Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning and Engagement (CIRCLE) at Tufts University found that had the youth vote been split 50-50 for the presidential race in just four states -- Florida, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Virginia -- Romney would have been elected president. In each of those four crucial swing states, exit polling shows young voters made up 16 to 19 percent of the electorate.
However, it seems the "youth vote" for Obama was down overall by 6% from 2008, the Obama "Jewish vote" likewise appears to be down 5%.

Immigration wasn't the decisive factor in the election, even though "Latinos" who responded to polls appear to have felt that they were "less enthusiastic" about Romneys debate positions on immigration.

I got to speak again with the Latino teacher who supported Romney and who became angry during our previous discussion when he misinterpreted that I was talking about race rather than politics. You have to hear his full statement from our second conversation I condense about the "Latino vote":

He began by strongly asserting that Latinos like to work and make their own way by creating businesses and working hard for employers, then very briefly added in almost hushed tones that there are a significant number of Latinos who work the system, and those who do so voted accordingly.

So, it all goes back to "What's in it personally for me".

I believe that among the myriad people collectively termed "Latino" immigration issues will figure strongly into the voting consciousness of those who either have close relatives who are illegally present or those among the multi-generational who are incorrigible brown racists, those taking advantage of the system will vote according to who will is more likely to keep the gravy train rolling, and business owners and the otherwise industrious will tend to vote for whomever they perceive will help them earn a living.

More issues:

People tend to be more "liberal" when they are young and grow more "conservative" as they age.

The "youth vote". Just like their parents did when they were young, they believe they have it all figured out and the "geezers" ruined everything they touched- so a significant number may oppose "geezer" conservatism or general ideals of previous generations. Those seeking education don't like the reality that until they pay off crushing education debt burger flippers may actually have a better lifestyle, nor do they appreciate that Chancellors are giving themselves raises while increasing tuition. Most of the rest inclined towards industriousness want jobs with all the accoutrements. Face it, except for varying cultural demands in societies concerning respect for elders instinctively it's generally about the young pushing aside the old. They vote accordingly.

"Obamacare" is misrepresented as a health care act, it appears to me more to be more of a health insurance gimmick which is extremely expensive and doesn't really deal with the issue of rising health care costs. Who is going to vote positively on the issue? The chronically ill, idealistic unrealists, and the "social justice" types.

Obama didn't seem to realize there was a national unemployment problem until it was time to campaign for reelection. However, he was perceived in the swing state of Ohio as saving jobs with the auto bail out.

The environmentlists:

Generally they believe that all progress besides their own personal kumbya version of the world is destroying the planet. So, rather than walking to work or school (or anywhere else for that matter), they will fill up at Arco and vote against the Keystone pipeline project. As well, they think electricity comes out of the wall, so they will vote against any project that upgrades the infrastructure but will take advantage of any "environmental" job on those projects to pay the bills - and not a one will demand that the power company remove the service conductors from their house. Which candidate was most likely to accommodate their world view?

In the end the pundits can argue all day long about what caused Romneys electoral defeat, but the simple reality is that all boils down to

Quote:

WHAT'S IN IT FOR ME
Expressed by the aggregate of millions of individual votes. Romney didn't lose on any one issue (Republican back stabbing fratricide figures into the equation), and you can take that to the bank.

Greg in LA 11-25-2012 08:45 AM

Personally, I know lots of people that receive some type of government aid. They all vote Democrat, even if they are greatly impacted by the illegal aliens. The town that I live in is filled with many types of government workers, they all of course vote Democrat to protect their jobs.

I went to the county registrar in Norwalk last week to check on my voters registration and noticed the hundreds of office workers doing very little. Is there any doubt how they vote.

I cast my vote for Romney, although many were saying he was going to betray us on immigration. The betrayal would have been something like we would get E-verify after they got guest workers, expanded h-1b visa's and a partial amnesty.

I think the Republicans should have figured out by now that immigration has sunk the party nationally, and that immigrants as a whole vote overwhelmingly Democrat. It's only going to get worse because in each cycle more an more immigrants are a greater part of the electorate. People are calling this the Democrat party "electing a new people".

The point I would like to make is that if the Republicans don't finally recognize this, it's literally over for them. One hopes this election finally gets Republicans to wake up. Unfortunately they have to wake up to the fact that immigration has totally marginalized about half the nation.

ilbegone 11-25-2012 10:32 AM

What primarily has sunk the Republican party was catering to the self interest of employers for cheap labor several decades ago. By all appearances they wanted a non voting slave class, something they couldn't get out of the native born because of citizen reluctance to be wage slaves.

The self interest of the Democrat party was to take advantage of Republican pandering to employers.

The interest of American brown racists was and is to take advantage of the Democrat party pandering to minorities and newcomers in order to build a base the Democrat party can't get among mainstream Americans. The liberal inversion of the intent of the Civil Rights Act along with victimization theory are their ethnic nationalist work horses.

There are lots of things the Republican party leadership is clueless about, the many facets and consequences or cause and effect of massive migration beginning in the 60's as well as their ignorance about people who have been here for generations. In search of a simplistic answer they now echo the squeaky wheels from within "the Latino community" without even seeking to find out who and what those people truly are.

I don't think the Democrat party leadership really has an idea even with all the "social justice" stuff they rant about and slogans they parrot from the movimiento (such as "living in the shadows" etc.), they mainly pander to get the votes for consolidating power. I believe in the end it's going to backfire on the Democrats as well.

In the late 60's the there was the Chicano description of the US political system as being a two headed goat of which both heads fed from the same trough (I see the logic, the statement is more true than not). The idea of the third Party La Raza Unida to circumvent the two headed goat was tried and failed, though the tactics live on. I think the general idea now is to use one head to fight the other until the animal becomes weak enough to butcher.

There are lots of pawns and dupes in this game, Republicans and Democrats included.

Greg in LA 11-25-2012 06:36 PM

"I believe in the end it's going to backfire on the Democrats as well."

Ilbegone, how exactly do you think mass immigration is going to back fire on the Democrat's?

As I see it the vast majority of immigrants vote Democrat, and mass immigration is a continuous voter supply for Democrat's.

The only way I see mass immigration backfiring on the Democrat's is that mass immigration is making the population poorer and poorer. The liberals keep claiming they are for lifting up the poor and working class, but mass immigration just keeps depressing wages of people at the bottom. How can the poor and working class advance if they are continuously undercut by new immigrants.

Maybe that's part of the democrats plan, because poor people vote for government aid.

It seems to me that the Democrats have vastly out smarted the Republicans, through demographics, and there is still a plentiful supply of Republicans in power willing to sell their people out in the form of amnesty.

ilbegone 11-25-2012 06:58 PM

I believe it will backfire on the Democrats because at its core the Democrat elite is just as ignorant as the Republican elite concerning the myriad of peoples who are termed "Latino" as well as the rest of the ignorant vote buying Democrats conduct with other groups of minorities and immigrants of all sorts. The Republican failure through arrogance was determined decades ago, the Democrat failure will be through one way "familiarity", the rude surprise one might get when - after years of kissing ass, being sincerely over generous to the ungrateful and thinking that he is finally accepted as a member of the family he married into - one suddenly realizes he isn't worth a plugged nickle to most in that family who are over the age of ten years old.

Jose Angel Gutierrez - who is now a Democrat - in an interview with a Texas newspaper reporter (Dallas Fort Worth Times?) a few years ago said that the US will soon be broke, and that's when his goals will be met. Gutierrez might be a lot of things, might have done a little miscalculating in the past, but stupid he is not. The open borders, American brown racist lobby doesn't have a lock step agreement with the Democrat party. It is a maxim that so long as an association benefits the movimiento, the association is maintained. When the association no longer benefits the movimiento, the relationship is severed.

Government will collapse, the promises made can't be fulfilled anymore - there will be no more government aid dispensed to prime the Democrat pump. Regardless of where anyone stands, both Republicans and Democrats will be irrelevant.

I hope I'm wrong.

Greg in LA 11-25-2012 10:07 PM

Are you saying, when the government finally goes broke, and the checks to LaRaza stop, Hispanics will no longer be loyal Democrat voters.

Are you also saying that Hispanics when they are no longer "payed" to vote Democrat through government aid, and affirmative action, will split from the Democrat party and try some other type of unruliness like create a third party, A "Hispanic party" or just become totally uncontrollable in their demands for money and power from the government and declare themselves above the law, and start a kind of secessionist movement?

I think what you are saying is that professional "Hispanics" groups like LaRaza and LULAC are not really core Democrats they are really Mexican Nationalist in America and want little else than more race power.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but if the checks stop, where do these people turn, the Republican party?

ilbegone 11-26-2012 06:48 PM

I'll make it clear from the outset that there is no one type of "Hispanic" or "Latino" no more than there is no one type of "White" or "Anglo". The American brown racist faction is but one type which seeks to manipulate the many other types to a racial agenda and they have been very successful in the political arena. Not all "Hispanics" or "Latinos" buy into it by any means. Actually, brown racists and white racists are the same people differentiated mostly by skin color, under the skin they are the same people with the same type of racial goals. Neither the Republican nor the Democrat "elites" seem to understand the differences concerning the people termed "Latino" or "Hispanic", both parties deal in stereotypes. One party "organizes" by pandering, the other repels through general ineptitude. Pandering might result in gains during good times, pandering doesn't guarantee loyalty when the chips are down.

Otherwise, you miss the point, when it crashes the concept of either Republican or Democrat parties will be irrelevant.

The French Revolution was not so much about the benign despotism of Louis the 16th as it was in a large part about peasants who disregarded the royal attempt to introduce new crops in a time of climate change. They were starving, they blamed the crown, and radicals took advantage of and hijacked the disturbance. The French Revolution ate its own children and eventually resulted in wholesale European continental death via the Napoleonic wars.

As mighty as Rome was, no dictator could rule without buying off the poor of the City of Rome with bread and entertainment. When the empire finally imploded and barbarians filled the void no one in the Roman Senate at that time mattered.

Jose Angel Gutiererrez in the interview referenced above sees Aztlan established when the US fails through going broke. Whether or not that is a brown racist pipe dream is beside the point, the fact is that Washington of Republicans and Democrats won't matter anymore no regardless of who or what fills the void.

There will be a lot of starving people regardless of whether they were producers or users. Both parties will be blamed for the problem, and otherwise it will be "interesting times".

Greg in LA 11-26-2012 08:02 PM

Ok, I think I'm getting it now. What you are really talking about is economic collapse in the United States and the chaos that will ensue.

Yes Economic collapse is a terrifying possibility. I for one certainly don't want to think about that, but I'm reluctantly slowly starting to prepare. I've started to stock up on canned foods, The rest of the things that I will probably need is expensive so I've been dragging my feet on paying that bill. I'm starting though.

What areas of So. Cal. do you think will be survivable?

I would think LA proper would become a powder keg.

I live in Santa Clarita, and I have a half acre of land, but no well.

Do you think life would be survivable in Santa Clarita for a couple of months?

Are you preparing for economic collapse?

Any advice for people in LA suburbs?

I've loosely been watching Greece and Spain to get an idea of what it might be like. So far it's not as apocalyptic as one might think.

Roosevelt declared a bank holiday, I think it was in 1931. All the banks were ordered closed and nobody had access to any of their money. I think the bank "holiday" lasted for three days. I think it was pretty orderly, people made due, but then again the country was a lot different back then.

Ayatollahgondola 11-26-2012 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg in LA (Post 22246)
I think it was pretty orderly, people made due, but then again the country was a lot different back then.

Yes it was. Silver money was still plentiful and gold money was still in use and available. Water in rivers and streams was still generally quite usable and accessible. And wild game was plentiful in most areas. But now there would be much more competition for that which would be readily available. Water delivery systems would remain, but the purification might break down, and paper money might become useless. The dependence issue would really shoot to the forefront of a lot of peoples minds, which could be a good thing in the long run. I don't think it would be terribly orderly this time, what with alot of resources being held by too few controlling agents. Food producers could be besieged, and range wars break out. Sidewalk commandos from inner city areas would be struggling over dominance, and police who had previously been stretched past the point of effectiveness in the past would have to consolidate in strongholds, leaving major areas wide open to resident rule.

If you want to prepare, I suggest studying the history of those who lived through the Watts riots, the King revolt, and the northridge earthquakes, and then double or triple the time frame that took to recover to an acceptible pattern of life.

ilbegone 12-01-2012 07:05 AM

Quote:

What areas of So. Cal. do you think will be survivable?
Southern California south of Tejon Pass and east of the Sierras to the Mexican border and Arizona / Nevada is a desert with the population maintained for the greatest part by imported water accompanied by locally dropping water tables. Agriculture has mostly been paved over or otherwise rendered largely impractical or impossible. Everything is delivered, built or maintained with the use of the internal combustion engine and the electrical grid powers 99% of everything else.

Only about half of US the population pays taxes, I believe almost half of the population receives some sort of government services or assistance and the truly rich can afford to move their wealth, income, and business out of the country.

California has 1/3 of the national welfare burden, of which 1/4 of the California burden is in Los Angeles county. Not much separates the wealthy from the poor except for a short hike up the hill, and welfare communities sit right next to middle class suburbs throughout the state.

Most game animals were displaced or diminished decades ago when the population was a small fraction of today, socal surface water is minimal and to significant degree, polluted.

Connect the dots. It wouldn't make much more sense to hide on the Magic Mountain premises than it would in LA city hall if money becomes either scarce or worthless.

Democrat politicians buy up votes importing people and dispensing social services while Republicans have traditionally garnered support from business interests with cheap imported labor of all sorts (including H1-B) and otherwise catering to business while attracting other votes with all talk and no do concerning illegal migration. It's hard to take away services when a significant portion of the population has become used to it, at that's even when the politicians are halfway sane - which, in California, they're largely a motley collection of lunatics living in a far left, rapid transit train to nowhere parallel dimension. So, nothing meaningful will be done to fix the deficits until money can't be dispensed anymore and by then it will be too late.

The Donner party, without snow to melt for drinking water, comes to mind.

I really hope I'm wrong.

Greg in LA 12-01-2012 08:50 AM

Ilbegone, are you making any plans and preparation? If so what?

The MidWest and the North East United states has water, but if natural gas and petroleum prices spike they're vulnerable, because winters without heat can kill. I see your point though.

Ayatollahgondola 12-01-2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg in LA (Post 22280)
Ilbegone, are you making any plans and preparation? If so what?

The MidWest and the North East United states has water, but if natural gas and petroleum prices spike they're vulnerable, because winters without heat can kill. I see your point though.

There's always wood. We have heated with wood almost exclsively last year, and are heading to be the same this one. We're not at all alone either, as many people in the areas you mentioned use outside wood burners to boil water for heat.
And, no one ever dies when a firewood supply line ruptures :D

Rim05 12-01-2012 12:31 PM

My, how cheerful you guys are today.
I do not expect 2013 to be great however, I do think we can make some things better by doing what ever we can to help our country.
Right now all I hear is who is doing what to bring the entire US down. I am always trying to think of ways to make it better.

I know what people did during the depression but that will not work again. What was our population in the thirties? About maybe one third of what it is now.
If we all try to use wood, there are so many that even that will run out. Some one stronger will take from the weak. Food? How will you protect it?
Just now I was reading, if you are having your house termited, all the things to do so someone will not come in during that time and rip you off, even though the house is tented.
I can't say how I will fare but I always practice safety and save all I can. I do hope all is not as I am reading here.
I am staying where I am. :)

ilbegone 12-01-2012 02:04 PM

I'm not sure what I should plan to do.

Right now I'm hoping the nation survives another four years of Obama and that political California will be induced to see the see the error of their ways and convince their constituencies that things have to change. You can't keep raising taxes while wasting ever more money on boondoggles and people who haven't worked for generations. It might take a bankruptcy to get back on the right track.

It has to be realized that education is about 90% of the parent's attitude towards it and spend time with those who are becoming educated while preparing those who are too lazy to learn to either work in menial occupations or go hungry.

Those who came here for the welfare benefits need to go back to wherever they came from. In eastern Riverside county there are quite a number of welfare recipients who receive their benefits in California but LIVE IN ARIZONA. Those unemployable due to drugs and alcohol need to be subjected to random drug tests and rehabilitation or be driven out of the state if rehab fails. I've known more than a few genuinely poor people and marginally employed single mothers - not a one had late model vehicles in the driveway, new furniture, or the latest in home entertainment electronics - there are more than an insignificant few who practice welfare fraud while having some sort of under the table income. For decades there have been women who time their pregnancies (any random sperm donor will do) according to how it will affect their continuing eligibility for welfare. Those abuses need to end.

The politicians have to realize there is only so much blood to be squeezed out of the stone. "Making minority neighborhoods green" (installing roof top solar in the ghetto on the taxpayer dime) or building bullet trains to nowhere can't be done with our present financial condition, and maybe not even in good times.

Hard core gang bangers and other criminals have to be effectively dealt with, driven out of the state if necesary. No kid trying to get an education needs to be presented with the choice of either getting beat up all the time or joining a gang for protection. Any prisoner who murders another prisoner in jail needs to be taken out back and capped - get rid of the problem. Jails and lengthy sentences aren't going to solve criminality nor the social and monetary costs which comes with crime.

And, those who came here illegally as adults need to go or be sent back to wherever they came from while those who were brought here illegally as children do not belong to their parent's country and need to be afforded permanent legal status with all rights just short of citizenship, their children to be citizens under the 14th amendment. There is not room on the bus for everyone who wants to come here whether it's illegally or on H1B visas. Employers need to be "educated" out of hiring illegals. If it weren't for employers beating down wages with illegal hiring and H1B entrants there would be little illegal migration. And no more SBA loans to newcomers while affording native citizens little to nothing.

If the problems our state and nation are not effectively met, I fear the meltdown will occur.

Ayatollahgondola 12-01-2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rim05 (Post 22282)
My, how cheerful you guys are today. :)

We're not discussing a Bob Hope comedy re-run here RIM. Some subjects require the somber attitude. I; for one, have felt the end of this government's civil whip. That said, I've been one to encourage people to stand and fight, which it sounds like GreginLA is doing, but just picking a proper base of operations right here in California

Greg in LA 12-01-2012 05:07 PM

I'm not leaving, I just bought a house (I have no mortgage) and I love it. I can't pull my kids out of school either, it would be bad for them. Plus where would I go? What would I do?
I Moved to California from Chicago, and I'm not going back to Illinois, Property taxes in Illinois are sky high, and most people I know are not working.

For me the entertainment industry is really tanking, Lots of people including myself are out of work,which is really strange for December.

California is really going to get difficult, and if it suffers we're probably going to suffer with it. What scares me is as California's tax revenues drop Sacramento keeps coming after us for more money, and they keep grabbing power as more and more people get on some form of aid. I feel trapped as this happens.

I know the state and National debts will continue, it's unstoppable until things finally collapse. We'll all just have to live through this instability as the State and National debts skyrocket, and as the government grabs more and more to protect it's self, and then have to survive the aftermath of the collapse as well.

We've already been living through 4 years of recession and I don't see any end to it.

I feel trapped as this accident unfolds, I want to escape it, but escape to where? North Dakota or Montana?

Ayatollahgondola 12-01-2012 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg in LA (Post 22285)
I'm not leaving, I just bought a house (I have no mortgage) and I love it. I can't pull my kids out of school either, it would be bad for them. Plus where would I go? What would I do?
I Moved to California from Chicago, and I'm not going back to Illinois, Property taxes in Illinois are sky high, and most people I know are not working.

For me the entertainment industry is really tanking, Lots of people including myself are out of work,which is really strange for December.

California is really going to get difficult, and if it suffers we're probably going to suffer with it. What scares me is as California's tax revenues drop Sacramento keeps coming after us for more money, and they keep grabbing power as more and more people get on some form of aid. I feel trapped as this happens.

I know the state and National debts will continue, it's unstoppable until things finally collapse. We'll all just have to live through this instability as the State and National debts skyrocket, and as the government grabs more and more to protect it's self, and then have to survive the aftermath of the collapse as well.

We've already been living through 4 years of recession and I don't see any end to it.

I feel trapped as this accident unfolds, I want to escape it, but escape to where? North Dakota or Montana?

The Dakotas are miserably cold, and Montana is only slightly better. There's no gettin' around a fight for your living standard here in the US. But you can start to learn how best to live in the area you are. Your goals will be set at a level of livability as opposed to a raging success. Just plan for 6 months of living off the grid, and keep that gomonths ahead of you at all times. You'll get better at it as you go, and soon you won't notice it. Some of the fear will subside then.
when you say "entertainment industry" what is that?

Greg in LA 12-01-2012 06:28 PM

I fabricate custom props, costumes and scenery for Ads. movies and theme parks. 85% of this industry works freelance, job to Job, It's almost like being self employed.
Ayatollah what are "gomonths" ?

I've been self employed and "freelance" all my adult life, I'm use to feast and famine cycles. I am quite good "hoarding" during the feast cycle to compensate for the famine cycle. It's just that the last 5 years the "feast" has become a discount buffet with lots of jello and noodle choices instead of the prime rib.

Ayatollahgondola 12-01-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg in LA (Post 22287)
I fabricate custom props, costumes and scenery for Ads. movies and theme parks. 85% of this industry works freelance, job to Job, It's almost like being self employed.
Ayatollah what are "gomonths" ?

I've been self employed and "freelance" all my adult life, I'm use to feast and famine cycles. I am quite good "hoarding" during the feast cycle to compensate for the famine cycle. It's just that the last 5 years the "feast" has become a discount buffet with lots of jello and noodle choices instead of the prime rib.

Sorry, but that was supposed to be "6 months".

OK, and now I understand what you do...did....should be doing. That's a tough field in that it is very specific. I've experienced the latter part as well. I make and keep less, and my projects are getting fewer in between. Competition is harsh too, with so many people who used to do something else, now trying their hand at my job. The scary thing about freelance-hood is the spectre of retirement, when what little was paid into SS will be further reduced by congress trying to stretch it farther, and inflation making it less worthy.

Greg in LA 12-01-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ayatollahgondola (Post 22286)
There's no gettin' around a fight for your living standard here in the US.

That's the truth. As much as I would like to run away from the problems we have in California, Someone's got to stay here and show some resistance.

Ayatollahgondola 12-01-2012 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg in LA (Post 22289)
That's the truth. As much as I would like to run away from the problems we have in California, Someone's got to stay here and show some resistance.

I remember in one of the videos I made when following the people picking up day laborers back to the job sites, was an asian guy who was quite baffled about the whole affair, and when I explained what he and the day laborers had done to degrade the neighborhood, he just said "why don't you just move?"
Clearly there is a whole section of society that thinks that you can always move away from something bad to something better, and that's why they don't get involved in their community. Their roots are always shallow

Ayatollahgondola 12-01-2012 07:21 PM

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

Greg in LA 12-01-2012 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ayatollahgondola (Post 22288)
The scary thing about freelance-hood is the spectre of retirement, when what little was paid into SS will be further reduced by congress trying to stretch it farther, and inflation making it less worthy.

Yes, I know. Almost everybody without a government pension is in this boat. That's also a big reason why the government keeps grabbing more and more from us. It's all part of what we fear about the coming collapse.

I mean it's the government coming to take what little we have to pay their people lavishly, and then short change us on Soc. Sec. and in the process kill the economy to maintain the status quo during the productive periods of our lives.

Example: I bought my house in May and my property tax assessment was 40% ( yes that's 40%) higher than the purchase price. I thought I was protected by prop 13, but I wasn't. I appealed it and I was successful, but my point is that they still tried, and they are going to keep trying to get the insatiable money that they need. If I lost I would have been forced to come up with that money to feed that beast, and make it harder for myself.

Their grab for money is really just starting.
I'm not bitter though, I really don't think government workers are going to get those golden pensions that they have been promised. They are going to try though. In the end though the government can only squeeze so much blood out of a turnip, and we're the turnip.

Retirement, I'm not sure that's going to happen for me, I've got two kids in grade school and a lot to pay for ahead of me.

I feel lucky though, I dodged the housing bubble by staying alert, stashed away every penny when the going was good. I've got a good roof over our heads, I'm a sly fox, I know I'll find a way.

Rim05 12-01-2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rim05
My, how cheerful you guys are today.

We're not discussing a Bob Hope comedy re-run here RIM. Some subjects require the somber attitude. I; for one, have felt the end of this government's civil whip. That said, I've been one to encourage people to stand and fight, which it sounds like GreginLA is doing, but just picking a proper base of operations right here in California
I can assure you that I do not think of this as a re-run comedy. It is serious. I do not think 2013 will be great but I do have hope. I retired in 1985 so I have not competed for a job for a very long time.
I see you just posted a video of the hiring of illegals. Well, I have been fighting that for years. I am experienced at trying to find legal help or doing the job my self, its getting pretty old and tiring.
All day I see everything in the world falling into war and fighting and I wonder when some one will try to stop it but, next day I just see a replay.
I truly wonder where everything is going.

Ayatollahgondola 12-01-2012 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rim05 (Post 22293)
. I am experienced at trying to find legal help or doing the job my self, its getting pretty old and tiring.
All day I see everything in the world falling into war and fighting and I wonder when some one will try to stop it but, next day I just see a replay.
I truly wonder where everything is going.

Life is a struggle RIM. That's the way it was designed

Ayatollahgondola 12-01-2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rim05 (Post 22293)
[B] I retired in 1985 so I have not competed for a job for a very long time.[B]

a quarter of a century on retirement. I tip my hat to you. Most of America works and pays into SS for 45 or 50 years, and only collect SS for 10 to 15. You are beating the hell out of the system :D