PDA

View Full Version : Amnesty Again?

Jeanfromfillmore
01-19-2010, 03:52 PM
Amnesty Again?

Briefing | By Tilla Bradley | January 19, 2010

Because Congress and the president are getting set to revamp immigration law, the Center for Immigration Studies (CIS) undertook a task few academics or policymakers have. The CIS looked at what happened the last time that the executive and legislative branches got together to relax border controls.
The study, done by researcher David North, had some interesting findings. In 1986, the Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA) not only had bipartisan support in the Senate and House, but was strongly advocated by President Reagan and Attorney General Ed Meese. The end result was a new statute that changed the immigration legalization process while granting amnesty to select immigrants.
Billed as the solution to the wide variety of immigration issues facing the United States, the bill had some unanticipated side effects. Key elements of the bill included language that favored farm workers by allowing them an intermediate form of legalization during the growing season when their labor was most required. In addition, the bill also required business owners and employers to verify the legal status of all employees who were hired and employed punitive sanctions if this was not done. Finally, the basic function of the Immigration and Naturalization Services (INS) was changed from law enforcement to benefit distribution.
North found that nearly a quarter of all immigrants granted legal status received it via fraud. While several individual INS offices took independent steps to prevent fraudulent claims, there was no standard, unified procedure that effectively prevented fraud. He also notes that due to the lack of foresight, there were many opportunities to administer basic vaccinations during the medical exams. While this oversight has been corrected in recent years, there are still a great many people who would have profited greatly from this preventative measure.
Under IRCA, employers could hire subcontractors without certifying the legal status of their employees. Moreover, while some of the changes IRCA brought about allowed INS workers who worked on a face to face basis with the applicants to escape the unpleasant tasks of informing applicants of bad news, it also eliminated the agency's first barrier to inappropriate applications.
One by-product of this decision was that it made it easier for officials to simply approve questionable applicants rather than begin an arduous paperwork trail to deny someone's application. Prior to the IRCA legislation, applicants had the ability and opportunity to withdraw their applications should it appear that they were ineligible for citizenship. Without this precaution, many questionable applicants were allowed to either be granted citizenship or waste time in the system.
North recommends against another legalization program primarily because, like the bailout of the banks, it is an expensive piece of legislation that only benefits a small segment of the nation while the remainder of the taxpayers must pay the exorbitant costs.

Tilla Bradley is an intern at the American Journalism Center, a training program run by Accuracy in Media and Accuracy in Academia.
http://www.aim.org/briefing/amnesty-again/

usa today
01-20-2010, 12:55 PM
With Brown winning last night does anyone really thing immigration reform has a snowballs chance of getting passed?

I still think that if they seriously try it , you will see a back lash that will make this health care stuff look like a girl scout party.

Jeanfromfillmore
01-20-2010, 01:43 PM
With Brown winning last night does anyone really thing immigration reform has a snowballs chance of getting passed?

I still think that if they seriously try it , you will see a back lash that will make this health care stuff look like a girl scout party.You are looking at this from a completely different perspective than those who watch Keith Oberman. They don't have a clue as to what this win for Brown means. Remember, the msm doesn't give a very accurate perspective of what is truly happening. So, don't even give the thought of being able to ease up on any issues, because that could be exactly what some are hoping for and depending on.

Twoller
01-20-2010, 02:09 PM

I still think that if they seriously try it , you will see a back lash that will make this health care stuff look like a girl scout party.

You are looking at this from a completely different perspective than those who watch Keith Oberman. They don't have a clue as to what this win for Brown means. Remember, the msm doesn't give a very accurate perspective of what is truly happening. So, don't even give the thought of being able to ease up on any issues, because that could be exactly what some are hoping for and depending on.

I have to agree. This passive sort of cheering from the sidelines of the fake wrestling match between the Republicans and Democrats is what got us to the current situation. We should be just as skeptical of Republicans as we are of the Democrats. Especially this guy.

What has he actually said about illegal immgration that makes this such good news? If McCain had won the presidency, we wouldn't have anything to cheer either, especially regarding illegal immigration.

Always remember that amnesty, in the eyes of the illegal immigration movement is a confrontation with them. Amnesty means that everyone not qualifying for amnesty is still illegal and with amnesty, some kind of real action against illegals would have to occur to make it work -- the second time. And remember once again that the arch-Republican Ronald Reagan gave us our last amnesty.

Illegals and their advocates prefer the status quo and if this new guy in the senate accepts the status quo, then the difference between that and amnesty is not worth worrying about.

Nothing less than declared aggression against the simple presence of illegal immigrants will do. Nothing less than turning loose local law enforcement against the simple presence of illegals on a national level will do.

Jeanfromfillmore
01-20-2010, 03:14 PM
Go to this url and watch the clip. I found it refreshing.

http://www.aim.org/don-irvine-blog/mika-admits-msm-has-liberal-bias/

Mika Admits MSM Has Liberal Bias

By Don | January 20, 2010

MSNBC's Morning Joe co-host Mika Brzezinski says the mainstream media has a liberal mindset and that reporters should make public their political affiliation.
As she continues a tour for her new book, All Things at Once, MSNBC's Mika Brzezinski opened up with Julie Menin about the state of the media today.
"I've worked in the mainstream media for all the networks and I will say what people aren't saying. It's got a liberal world view. There are great people working at the networks, and they're mostly democrats, ok?," said Brzezinski, whose father was National Security Adviser to Pres. Carter.
"I think honestly what needs to happen, is we need to stop pretending about who we are and every journalist should tell us what their political affiliation is, who they voted for, and we go from there."

usa today
01-20-2010, 04:50 PM
Most politicians would rather the status quo

The liberal reconquistas are trying to push it through , yet
bills written to really enforce the laws get bogged down and with the dems in control will never see the light of day. Thats where we stand

Who was it ? Schuler that submitted a bill a couple years ago? the save , or strive or some such act.
Its still lingering in the dead file.

The problem is our so called "side" doesn't raise a stink until something like amnesty actually gets momentum like a couple years ago.

The goal is to elect people that will push for enforcement and have enough people in there to actually get the job done.

I just don't see it with the state of our congress these days , to many bleeding heart multi cult morons , ON BOTH SIDES

Ole Glory
01-21-2010, 09:13 PM
Californians for Population Stabilization (CAPS)

Alert! Support the new ANTI-Amnesty effort in Congress!

A new bipartisan resolution in the House opposes efforts to grant amnesty to illegal aliens. Introduced by Representatives Chaffetz (R-UT), Kratovil (D-MD), Hunter (R-CA), and Nye (D-VA), H. Res. 1026 asserts that Congress should "reject amnesty and any legal status which pardons those here in violation of our laws."

Ten Democrats and 12 Republicans are original sponsors of the BRIDGE Resolution (Bipartisan Reform of Immigration through Defining Good Enforcement), which also encourages Congress to make E-Verify mandatory for all employers and to "effectively secure and control United States borders."

CLICK HERE to learn more and to take action!

Rim05
01-22-2010, 04:36 AM
Glory, that is some of the best news I have heard for such a long time. This weather has had my complete attention lately. Wed. after noon I thought the wind would blow the roof off my house for sure.
I sure hope all will get on this amnesty NOW before the Gutierrez bill gains any support.

Jeanfromfillmore
01-22-2010, 12:46 PM
Californians for Population Stabilization (CAPS)

Alert! Support the new ANTI-Amnesty effort in Congress!

A new bipartisan resolution in the House opposes efforts to grant amnesty to illegal aliens. Introduced by Representatives Chaffetz (R-UT), Kratovil (D-MD), Hunter (R-CA), and Nye (D-VA), H. Res. 1026 asserts that Congress should "reject amnesty and any legal status which pardons those here in violation of our laws."

Ten Democrats and 12 Republicans are original sponsors of the BRIDGE Resolution (Bipartisan Reform of Immigration through Defining Good Enforcement), which also encourages Congress to make E-Verify mandatory for all employers and to "effectively secure and control United States borders."

CLICK HERE to learn more and to take action!

Congressmen Voice Opposition to Amnesty for Illegal Immigrants
By Diana Nguyen
- FOXNews.com
Reps. Frank Kratovil, D-Md, Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah., Duncan Hunter, R-Calif., and Glenn Nye, D-Va., and 10 other Republican and eight other Democratic were co-sponsors in introducing the legislation.
WASHINGTON -- A group of 22 congressmen called on Congress on Thursday to reject amnesty for illegal immigrants and enforce employment restrictions on non-citizens.
The Bipartisan Reform of Immigration through Defining Good Enforcement Resolution, HR 1026, or BRIDGE resolution, outlines the key principles of immigration reform, the lawmakers said.
Reps. Frank Kratovil, D-Md, Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah., Duncan Hunter, R-Calif., and Glenn Nye, D-Va., and 10 other Republican and eight other Democratic were co-sponsors in introducing the legislation.
"Marylanders, including immigrants who have come here legally to live and work in our state, are tired of the drain that illegal immigration has put on our economy," Kratovil said through his communications director. "This resolution reflects my belief that we should honor the contributions of those who have come here legally and continue to play by the rules while punishing those that knowingly break our laws."
The resolution calls for all employers to adopt E-Verify, a federally operated, Internet-based program that confirms the status of workers.
Ajmel Quereshi, director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Maryland Immigrants Rights Project, said the ACLU has been opposed to the E-Verify system for years.
"There is a high rate of errors," Quereshi said. "Vast numbers relate to U.S. citizens, documented immigrants and people here lawfully allowed to work."
The Social Security Administration reviewed E-Verify, finding: "approximately 17.8 million of its files contain erroneous data, 12.7 million of which concern U.S. citizens," said Quereshi, who also brought these results before a Senate committee reviewing the program in March 2009.
The resolution also asked Congress to provide resources for adequate security and control along the U.S. borders and to reject amnesty or legal status of those breaking the law.
"Immigrants are welcome to our country, but through the front door not the back," said Chuck Floyd, one of the founders of Help Save Maryland, a grassroots organization opposed to illegal immigration. "I support our existing laws and the American workers."
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/01/21/congressmen-voice-opposition-amnesty-illegal-immigrants/