PDA

View Full Version : "Journalism"

ilbegone
12-25-2013, 04:59 PM
I've seen this interview before, which I had forgotten about.

Bill O'Reilly, whom I used to detest and now have a grudging respect for, was on tonight on a Christmas rerun of a past segment interviewing Ted Koppel.

The part I liked best was when Koppel said that the media is a business, and said that once upon a time both he himself and O'Reilly thought journalism was a calling. O'Reilly, as I recall, didn't have a response - at that moment Koppel and O'Reilly were sleeping in the same bed and they both knew it.

Such truth for a media full of shameless whores who have sold themselves mostly to the far left and also (to a far less degree) to the far political right.

There is an old 19th century quote (Samuel Clemens - Mark Twain?) to the effect that those who don't read newspapers are ignorant and those who do are less informed than the ignorant population who don't. I don't remember the exact quote, but I do remember it was a perfect riposte and perfectly applicable today concerning so called "journalism".

Jeanfromfillmore
12-26-2013, 10:44 AM
O"Reilly is mostly bla, bla, bla. I think he likes listening to himself. I wish he could be voted out, but he was never voted in. I don't have cable news on my tv so I don't watch him. I don't have FOX Cable, CNN or MSNBC, but I don't miss them. I do get local news. What I do miss is CSPAN, but without a digital TV and no receiver box I'm out of luck on that. I get most of my info by this cute little laptop that I'm typing on. (Thankyou) I do my own research and with some firsthand experience I am generally pointed in the right direction.