PDA

View Full Version : We need a tough immigration policy, says one Democrat

Jeanfromfillmore
12-24-2009, 02:54 PM
We need a tough immigration policy
BY ZACK SPACE • December 24, 2009
Without a doubt, we currently face an illegal immigration crisis in our country. Millions of people have broken our laws by crossing our borders illegally.

Illegal immigration has a huge, negative impact on the local economy, where cheap or under-the-table labor drives down wages and prevents Ohioans from finding employment. Many in my district who are already fighting to find or to keep jobs know all too well that additional competition only makes it harder to put food on the table and to support their families.
Our national immigration policy, in short, must be tougher -- not more lenient, as some in Congress want to do. In this effort to achieve real border security and commonsense policies, we're having to beat back the efforts of amnesty advocates in both parties.
Most recently, I was outraged when liberals in the House introduced legislation this week that would provide a pathway to citizenship for millions of illegal immigrants who have broken our laws by entering the country illegally. This legislation is ill-timed, and I will do everything possible to make sure it goes nowhere.
Creating a pathway to citizenship for illegal immigrants currently in the United States, which this bill would do, is not the way to ensure that jobs here in Ohio are protected. The bill also grants leniency to those who have children while in the United States and allows immigrants to simply pay a small fine and integrate, rather than face deportation. These measures would devastate Ohioans.
Loosening our laws and opening our borders is absolutely unfair to those who are already seeking employment and looking to provide for their families. Punishing those who openly flaunt our border security with a slap on the wrist only incentivizes illegal immigration, putting our national security and Ohio jobs at risk.
I will not allow this to happen.
During my first term in Congress, I worked tirelessly to ensure that our country is kept safe by co-sponsoring legislation that increases security at the border, tightens employer verification standards, increases the number of Immigration and Customs Enforcement Agents and provides for better enforcement of our nation's immigration laws.
I also believe that taxpayers should not be left with the bill for illegal immigrants that get access to medical care in our hospitals. To address this issue, I recently introduced the PAYBACK Act, which would force countries to reimburse the United States for the costs of caring for their citizens who come here illegally. It is fundamentally unfair for U.S. taxpayers to foot the bill for illegal immigrants. Taking action to prevent further illegal immigration is critical to keeping our nation -- and Ohio jobs -- safe.
We need a tough immigration policy. We need to ensure that American jobs go to Americans, not the undocumented, illegal immigrants who work off the books. It is insulting to me and my constituents that those who break the law and enter our country illegally should be rewarded for their behavior with amnesty.
I will continue to oppose this outrageous policy proposal and will continue fighting for jobs and sensible policies for hard-working Ohioans.
Zack Space, a Democrat, is a U.S. congressman, representing the 18th District.
http://www.chillicothegazette.com/article/20091224/OPINION02/912240313/We-need-a-tough-immigration-policy