PDA

View Full Version : Gov. Jerry Brown has signed California Dream Act, legislator says

Borderwatch
10-08-2011, 11:27 AM
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/california-politics/2011/10/gov-jerry-brown-has-signed-california-dream-act-legislator-says.html

PolitiCal
On politics in the Golden State

« Previous Post | PolitiCal Home
Gov. Jerry Brown has signed California Dream Act, legislator says
October 8, 2011 | 11:53 am

increase text size decrease text size

The lawmaker who authored the California Dream Act said Saturday that Gov. Jerry Brown has signed the bill allowing Illegal immigrants attending California universities to receive state financial aid.

Brown's office declined comment, and an announcement on the legislation has not yet been made.

But Assemblyman Gil Cedillo (D-Los Angeles) said he was notified Saturday morning by the governor's aides that Brown has approved the measure, which makes illegal immigrants who are accepted into state universities eligible, starting in 2013, for Cal-Grant assistance.

The governor’s action also allows those without citizenship papers to tap into institutional grants while attending the University of California and California State University systems, and to get fee waivers in the California community college system.

Cedillo praised Brown as an "incredible leader with the vision and courage'' for signing the bill despite its great controversy.

"After having invested 12 years in the high school education of these young men and women, who are here through no fault of their own, it's the smartest thing for us to do to permit these students to get scholarships and be treated like every other student,'' Cedillo said. "We need an educated workforce. This is good for California's economy and California's future.''

One legislative analysis predicted the bill will cost an additional $40 million to help students who qualify by graduating from a California high school after having attended school in the state for at least three years. They also must show financial need and meet academic standards.

The legislation was opposed by most of the Republican lawmakers who questioned an expansion of programs to benefit illegal immigrants while the state is cutting services to residents who are in the country properly.

Assemblyman Cameron Smyth (R-Santa Clarita) is among those who are not persuaded by assurances of minimal to no impact on legal students. He noted that there are as many as 40,000 illegal immigrants who might apply for financial aid from funds that are limited and that are not being increased by the legislation.

"Therefore, for every dollar awarded to an undocumented student from that pot of money, a dollar would have to be taken away from a citizen or a legal immigrant," Smyth said. "I believe that is wrong.”

Jeanfromfillmore
10-08-2011, 12:23 PM
Brown signs tuition bill for illegal immigrants
Gov. Jerry Brown has signed legislation allowing illegal immigrants to apply for state-funded college financial aid, the second chapter of a package known as the California Dream Act.
“Going to college is a dream that promises intellectual excitement and creative thinking," Brown said on Saturday. "The Dream Act benefits us all by giving top students a chance to improve their lives and the lives of all of us."
In July, Brown signed the first part that permits undocumented students to apply for private financial aid. Assembly Bills 131 and 130, respectively, were authored by Assemblyman Gil Cedillo, D-Los Angeles.
Currently, undocumented students may pay in-state tuition rates if they graduate from a local high school and can show they are in the process of applying to legalize their immigration status. Assembly Bill 131, effective Jan. 1, 2013, will make the limited pool of students eligible to apply for Cal Grants and other aid.
Proponents maintain the legislation will give students a route to success, particularly because they would stay and work in the state and their immigration status could change in through marriage, employment or other factors.
"This bill will ensure educational opportunities for young people who already live in California and who have demonstrated a true desire to improve their lives through education and careers," said Chancellor Constance Carroll, of the San Diego Community College District. "This is an investment in young people that will, in the end, benefit the whole economy of the state."
The state Finance Department has estimated that 2,500 students would qualify for Cal Grants as a result of the measure at a cost of $14.5 million – about 1 percent of the $1.4 billion program. Other published estimates to expand the program range from $23 million to $40 million a year.
In an interview Saturday, Carroll applauded state lawmakers for spurring an environment in which young people could have access to the information needed to get a job and emerge as a contributor.
"The alternative would be a drain on the economy of California," she said.
But critics assert the measures could be seen as rewarding illegal immigration. They also pointed to the sagging economy in contending the bills would burden scarce resources.
"California families are struggling to make ends meet and send their kids to college," said Sen. Joel Anderson, R-La Mesa. "For the state to prioritize and subsidize the tuition of non-Californians over Californians is flat-out wrong."
The legislation requires that grants first be given to U.S. citizens and legal residents before being awarded to undocumented students. California joins Texas and New Mexico in allowing illegal immigrants to seek private and public college funding.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/oct/08/brown-signs-tuition-bill-illegal-immigrants/

Rim05
10-09-2011, 04:54 AM
Ok, now are we going to start a recall for Brown? I certainly hope so.

Of all the people here who do not want Dems in office, I will ask, Why do you not nominate a Rep that we can vote for? Whitman, really?

The state is supposed to be broke, and I believe it is, except for the jack pots they can raid to aid the ones they want to aid.
I will still say the seniors who have paid for homes will probably lose them one day because of various taxes and repairs.
A retired persons savings and income will never keep up with what is happening in the financial world.

LAPhil
10-09-2011, 03:39 PM
[B]Ok, now are we going to start a recall for Brown? I certainly hope so.

Of all the people here who do not want Dems in office, I will ask, Why do you not nominate a Rep that we can vote for? Whitman, really?

Excellent questions, RIM. I would love to see a good Republican get the nomination for governor in this state, but it seems like there just aren't enough good ones (conservative in my opinion) around, as the state has become so liberal. Tom Campbell, whom I supported from the beginning, ran against Whitman for a while, but he was so lacking for funds that Whitman, with all of her bucks, was able to force him out of the race, and he ended up running for Senator against Carly Fiorina, another RINO with big bucks who easily beat him. Not that Campbell was a real conservative, but he never would have supported this Dream Act. And like you, I'd love to see a recall of Brown, but it seems unlikely to happen. We can always hope, however.