PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul Support Ground Zero Mosque

Borderwatch
08-23-2010, 02:49 PM
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/244493/ron-paul-all-about-hate-and-islamophobia-daniel-foster

Ron Paul: ‘This Is All About Hate and Islamophobia’
August 23, 2010 12:27 PM
By Daniel Foster

Rep. Ron Paul (R., Texas) has issued a lengthy statement condemning “neo-conservative” opposition to the Park51 project. “This is all about hate and Islamaphobia,” said Paul:

It has been said, “Nero fiddled while Rome burned.” Are we not overly preoccupied with this controversy, now being used in various ways by grandstanding politicians? It looks to me like the politicians are “fiddling while the economy burns.”

The debate should have provided the conservative defenders of property rights with a perfect example of how the right to own property also protects the 1st Amendment rights of assembly and religion by supporting the building of the mosque.

Instead, we hear lip service given to the property rights position while demanding that the need to be “sensitive” requires an all-out assault on the building of a mosque, several blocks from “ground zero.”

Just think of what might (not) have happened if the whole issue had been ignored and the national debate stuck with war, peace, and prosperity. There certainly would have been a lot less emotionalism on both sides. The fact that so much attention has been given the mosque debate, raises the question of just why and driven by whom?

In my opinion it has come from the neo-conservatives who demand continual war in the Middle East and Central Asia and are compelled to constantly justify it.

They never miss a chance to use hatred toward Muslims to rally support for the ill conceived preventative wars.

Paul seems to flirt with the Imam Rauf line that American foreign policy in the Middle East invited the September 11 attacks:

If it became known that 9/11 resulted in part from a desire to retaliate against what many Muslims saw as American aggression and occupation, the need to demonize Islam would be difficult if not impossible.

There is no doubt that a small portion of radical, angry Islamists do want to kill us but the question remains, what exactly motivates this hatred?

If Islam is further discredited by making the building of the mosque the issue, then the false justification for our wars in the Middle East will continue to be acceptable.

Meanwhile, Senate Majority Whip Dick Durbin (D., Ill.) is breaking ranks with Harry Reid and supporting the Park51 project:

“The mayor of New York City, Michael Bloomberg, has given his assent to this center and I support his decision,” Durbin said Sunday. “The politicians like Newt Gingrich and Sarah Palin who try to divide America with fear and hate over this issue betray the diversity which makes our nation great and the Constitution which they profess to honor.”

Ayatollahgondola
08-23-2010, 03:32 PM
I'm afraid BorderWatch, that we have, or we are, painting ourselves into a corner with this one. You can't have the first amendment and religious exclusion co-exist. The unfortunate thing here is that we have a bunch of people exploiting this under the color of patriotism on one side, and freedom on the other. Those are tough rocks and hard spots to be stuck between for any politician. But when in doubt, erring on the side of the bill of rights is the right choice. Obama's factions are playing the other side pretty well here. they are provoking the Red, White, and Blue-bloods into stating that the constitution be damned in this case, and that at heart they're all mostly hypocritical bigots and religious zealots. Personally I think Ron Paul understands the basics of the problem, but was not empathetic enough in his delivery. Not really unlike a medical doctor really.

Twoller
08-23-2010, 07:48 PM
This has nothing to do with the constitution. Nobody is arguing the Muslims do not have the right to build a mosque there. The whole argument is whether it is the appropriate thing to do. It isn't and it isn't meant to be appropriate. It is a display of open contempt and derision and its planners follow very quickly on the heels of those who commited the terrorist act just down the street. Nobody is fooled. I guess it is no suprise that Ron Paul sympathizes with the unbelievable notion that the US brought on this flood and ongoing threat of terrorist attacks by Muslims.

There is no such thing as "Islamaphobia". Fear of Islam is entirely rational.

DerailAmnesty.com
08-23-2010, 07:58 PM
I wonder how Chelene Nightingale is taking all of this. Will she be appearing at a Pro-Islam rally in the Big Apple, in defense of the Constitution, in lock-step with Ron Paul?

After all, Jeff Schwilk has sent me multiple communications proclaiming that she's California's Ron Paul candidate, so I assume the above is the logical thing to expect.

Right?

PochoPatriot
08-23-2010, 08:27 PM
I hate to remind people about this, but the reason I left and was ultimately banned from the old SOS, was over my lack of support for Ron Paul, and the questions that I asked about his candidacy. It is good to know that I was right about my suspicions of Ron Paul.

ilbegone
08-24-2010, 08:30 PM
However much I dislike it, they do have the right to build a mosque where they have property zoned for such, and have the proper permits.

However, they do know that to build in the proximity of the twin towers will be an insufferable poke in the eye to Americans, and I believe they will reap an enormous harvest of ill will if they insist on doing so.

The degree of insult would be increased by a knowledge of when and how they bought the property. If since the strike and through shadow purchasers, it would mean to me they mean to rub my nose in the wreckage.

Rim05
08-25-2010, 05:15 AM
We all know that everyone has freedon of religion in the US and I have no problem with that.
I do think they should pick a different location for their mosque. I will not protest against it but I will NEVER support the location.