PDA

View Full Version : Campaign for Liberty hails Maywood as a Model City

Borderwatch
08-04-2010, 05:08 AM
http://www.campaignforliberty.com/blog.php?view=37365

The headline sounds like it ran in The Onion, but it's a real story and was published in the New York Times.

While many communities are fearfully contemplating extensive cuts, Maywood says it is the first city in the nation in the current downturn to take an ax to everyone.

The school crossing guards were let go. Parking enforcement was contracted out, City Hall workers dismissed, street maintenance workers made redundant. The public safety duties of the Police Department were handed over to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.

At first, people in this poor, long-troubled and heavily Hispanic city southeast of Los Angeles braced for anarchy.

Senior citizens were afraid they would be assaulted as they walked down the street. Parents worried the parks would be shut and their children would have nowhere to safely play. Landlords said their tenants had begun suggesting that without city-run services they would no longer feel obliged to pay rent.

The apocalypse never arrived. In fact, it seems this city was so bad at being a city that outsourcing — so far, at least — is being viewed as an act of municipal genius.

“We don’t want to be the model for other cities to lay off their employees,” said Magdalena Prado, a spokeswoman for the city who works on contract. “But our residents have been somewhat pleased.”

...“Remember the Soviet Union?” said Hector Alvarado, who heads a civic advocacy group. “They had a lot of bureaucracy, and they lost. Maywood was like that. Now people know if they don’t work, they will be laid off. Much better this way.”

Local C4L chapters take note. We often struggle to find issues to get behind on the municipal level, but a platform similar to this might make a good start.

Rim05
08-04-2010, 05:54 AM
Too bad Los Angeles does not take note. This action does cut both ways, a lot of people are out of work now. All governmen, from city to federal needs to be cut. Most of them do not seem to know what to do so, they mostly do nothing.

Patriotic Army Mom
08-04-2010, 07:07 AM
Great!

Ayatollahgondola
08-04-2010, 07:52 AM
What? Maywood a model city? Model for what? How to let your city get taken over by foreigners, coffers bled dry, services cut, and while the place sits in limbo in between the time the carpetbaggers pack up their winnings and the new foreign government takes control, everybody sits around and marvels at how there's no crime?
Hello...there's no immigration crime either. It's all just a figment of your imagination. No unlicensed drivers, because there's no traffic enforcement. No reports being taken because there's no one to take them. But not to worry; all the illegals in town are not stealing from each other.

ilbegone
08-04-2010, 07:23 PM
Any derelict pretense of governance can be spun into a model of efficiency to the willfully ignorant.

CitaDeL
08-08-2010, 09:30 AM
The Campaign for Liberty people seem to be unaware of the fact that this sanctuary city fell under its own bureaucratic third world corruption.

I think what they are lauding is that despite warnings that anarchy would ensue without a large commercial enterprise like an incorporated city at the helm- And didnt.

I believe as many of them do; that government only exists to protect our rights. I do not believe any level of government should be in business to make a profit on us.

Maywood was a bad example to showcase.

ilbegone
08-10-2010, 11:55 AM
The Campaign for Liberty people seem to be unaware of the fact that this sanctuary city fell under its own bureaucratic third world corruption.

I think what they are lauding is that despite warnings that anarchy would ensue without a large commercial enterprise like an incorporated city at the helm- And didnt.

I believe as many of them do; that government only exists to protect our rights. I do not believe any level of government should be in business to make a profit on us.

Maywood was a bad example to showcase.

I believe the case of Maywood is similar to the City of Bell (slated to provide necessary services to Maywood), which was ran by first world con artists leaching off of ignorant third world imports.

Fleecing ignorant sheep is just as corrupt when performed by American citizens in LA County as it is when performed by the "elite" of a Banana Republic in Latin America.

george_haydukke
08-10-2010, 07:32 PM
No unlicensed drivers, because there's no traffic enforcement. No reports being taken because there's no one to take them. But not to worry; all the illegals in town are not stealing from each other.

I remember a city hall meeting that some of the old SOS people attended after the demonstration there (the one Kele got attacked at) and reported on where a lot of residents showed up and were very, very angry at the city for not enforcing the traffic laws because people had died at the hands of unlicensed drivers.

Is there an English newspaper in that town? Maybe oughta go back and find all the articles on the huge rash of accidents I remember they were having.

Do they still fly the Mexican flag at the post office?

Ayatollahgondola
08-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Do they still fly the Mexican flag at the post office?

the question is; Do they even have a post office still. From what I've seen, they don't need one when they can write all over the town walls, boxcars, delivery trucks, etc.