PDA

View Full Version : ABC News Poll: Nearly 6 in 10 Back Arizona Immigration Law

Jeanfromfillmore
06-17-2010, 02:03 PM
ABC News Poll: Nearly 6 in 10 Back Arizona Immigration Law
Most Americans back tougher measures against illegal immigrants, including a controversial new Arizona law – but also a path to citizenship for those here now. Both approaches address the public's longstanding concern: not that they're immigrants, but illegal ones. Nearly six in 10 in a new ABC News/Washington Post poll favor a much-debated law in Arizona giving police the power to ask people they've stopped to verify their residency status. There is room for pushback, though, in that fewer, 46 percent, think the states should have power to make and enforce their own immigration laws, one criticism of the Arizona statute.
Click here for a PDF with charts and questionnaire.
In addition to support for the law, Americans overwhelmingly continue to say the country's not doing enough to keep illegal newcomers out of this country, and to favor use of National Guard troops in border control.
At the same time, 57 percent support giving illegal immigrants now living in the United States the right to live here legally if they pay a fine and meet other requirements.
http://abcnews.go.com/WN/poll-10-back-arizona-immigration-law/story?id=10943089

You can bet there were more comments supporting Arizona, yet by reading those that they printed you'd think the debate was fairly even. That's the typical media twist. They can't hide the fact that the majority of citizens support the Arizona law, yet the media still tries to twist the evidence. So typical!1

Commenters strongly back Arizona immigration law
Our Readers Who Comment mostly applaud a Washington Post-ABC News poll finding that most Americans support the new Arizona law giving police there the power to check the residency status of suspected illegal immigrants. About the same percentage say they would support giving illegals the right "to live here legally if they pay a fine and meet other requirements."
Those who support the Arizona law are dominating the comment board, which is lengthening by the minute. Several call for punishing employers who knowingly hire illegals. One assertion that must corrected is that only those who live in the Washington area were polled. In fact, this was a national poll on many subjects. The specific questions and results can be seen here.
As pollster Jon Cohen and Tara Bahrampour write, "One unifying immigration concern is the widespread perception that the federal government is not doing enough to keep illegal immigrants from coming into the country. Overall, 75 percent of those polled fault border enforcement, and 83 percent support using National Guard troops to patrol the U.S.-Mexico line."
We'll start with bryangalt1, who wrote, "...If a few of the whiter folk were to find themselves tossed into an ICE detention center with zero rights because they left their driver's license home one day, the support for this law would start to evaporate faster than tequila on the blacktop outside the Phoenix statehouse. Guaranteed."
jdonner2 said, "Democrats oppose border enforcement because there a[re] about 100 million potiental Democrat voters in Mexico and they want a shot at as many as possible. Few Democrats ever get a majority of the white vote in elections. They need more Mexicans."
gman6 wrote, "The US is faced with two broken pipe lines. The one in the Gulf of Mexico is spewing oil that has created an economic and environmental disaster.The other broken pipe-line is alone the Mexican border and is spewing illegal immigrants into the US creating an economic, environmental and a violence prone disaster. There is a total lack of leadership from the WH in addressing these two problems and states along the gulf and the border have to take matters into own their hands in order to protect their citizens. I applaud AZ for doing so!"
TexRancher said, "WaPo took a story that was factual and distorted it with the comment that "most also back a program giving those here illegally the right to earn legal documentation". That's pure B.S! Why would people who favor the rule of law reverse direction in the same poll and say "yes, we support the law so give them rights that are not theirs to get legal documents"? Who are they polling, ILLEGALS?..."
aahpat wrote, "When the crime rate goes up in Arizona because police are diverted from real law enforcement to over-enforce this misdemeanor law Arizona citizens will learn the cost of their racism."
merrylees said, "The Dems have to be celebrating the gift the Repubs are giving them. There are not enough "staunch" Republicans to overcome the electoral wave of hispanics that will vote for Democratic candidates for generations..."
nuke41 wrote, "I paid my way through college mostly by working in construction jobs on weekends and during summers; that would be impossible to do now since most of those jobs are done by illegals working for less than minimum wage pay."
b1978367 said, "Jail business owners that hire illegals. Problem solved."
Voter4Integrity wrote, "I'll produce my identification fifty times a day if that's what is necessary to stop the invasion of illegal aliens. Return our jobs, classrooms, common language, housing, routine medical care, drivers licenses, and other taxpayer-funded to Americans. Go, Arizona!"
swanieaz said, "As an Arizona resident for over nine years, I believe that the primary purposes behind SB1070 are xenophobia, racism, and white people's fear that they would be losing their "majority" status in Arizona, and they will, no matter what happens about this bill..."
aulb6 wrote, "Another poll by the WAPO that polls people of the DC area only, what else do you expect from people who feed out of the trough of the federal government..."
donnolo said, "This piece doesn't report the questions that were asked. As everyone should know by now, the wording of the questions can make a huge difference in the outcome of a poll. The answers would probably have bee more positive if subjects had been asked 'Would you hire a Mexican to clean your house?' or 'Would you eat vegetables picked by a Mexican farm worker?' "
cleancut77 wrote, "I wonder how many polls, how many different ways the media asks the same question will be enough for the media to conclude the majority of Americans favor enforcement of our immigration laws?"
SanchoK asked, "Why did Arizona pass this law? Because the Federal Government would not enforce existing immigration law or change the law to deal with the present conditions. As in so many other aspects, the Federal Government doesn't work, indeed can not work..."
skinfreak wrote, "My initial reaction to the signing of this bill into law was one of repulsion. But I began to understand why the governor signed it. She wants the citizens of her state to be legitimate Americans, having equal rights by paying taxes. Why should some people support the state and country while others take advantage of services like schools, hospitals, ect. and not support them by not paying taxes? I feel bad for them but they need to enter the US legally."
We'll close with bozhogg, who wrote, "I hope native Americans start asking everyone else to prove that our ancestors came here legally. Other than killing, lying to, and sending native Americans to reservations.. I doubt they hold any animosity. But I bet they laugh at the Arizona law. 'Come on white man, prove you're one of us!' "
All comments on this article are here.
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dot.comments/2010/06/readers_strongly_back_arizona_immigration_law.html ?wprss=dot.comments