PDA

View Full Version : The people of Los Angeles are behind Arizona.

Jeanfromfillmore
05-23-2010, 12:47 AM
Pasadena Star News
This is what the people of Los Angeles had to say about boycotting Arizona. The people are behind Arizona.
The issue of illegal immigration - always a hot topic - recently spilled over into the states and local cities.
Arizona adopted a tough new immigration law that mandates police ask for proof of U.S. citizenship from those suspected of commiting a crime, as long as officers have a reasonable cause to believe the suspect is in the country illegally. Some say it amounts to racial profiling and is unconstitutional. Others say it is a necessary first-step to stop the flow of illegal immigrants into Arizona.
Since then, the cities of Los Angeles, San Francisco and San Diego passed resolutions boycotting the state of Arizona. Local cities such as El Monte, Baldwin Park and Pasadena adopted resolutions opposing the law, but stopped short of waging a boycott.
On May 14, we asked readers to write letters via e-mail in response to the question: Do you think area city councils should pass resolutions against it, as some already have done?
More than 90 percent of the responses we received were in favor of the law. Below is a sampling of your responses:

Gets full support
I'm in full support of the law due to the problems Arizona has been faced with. The federal government has not done its job in protecting our borders and forced Arizona to enact this new law.
I am embarrassed and saddened that cities in California have approved a ban against Arizona for future business and hope this new law opens
America's eyes to what has happened - not only to Arizona - but throughout the United States.
Sheral Edmonds
Whittier

Law passed by bigots (this is the only comment against Arizona)
I was born in Nogales, Arizona and during the 1950s racial profiling was very common.
While crossing the border if you looked Anglo, there were no questions asked. But if you looked Latino, "where were you born" was the question asked by the immigration official.
We had a friend that had green eyes and light complexion; he lived in Nogales, Sonora Mexico. Our friend did not know English and was not a U.S. citizen and his border crossing was like going to the 7-11 store. He was never asked for papers nor was he asked, "where were you born" by the border official.
Racial profiling is not tolerated like it was in the past by many people.
Arizona was and still is like the South was toward African Americans. Arizona has not changed the bigotry towards Latinos. Discrimination still exists and it is disguised as a law passed by bigots.
If anybody thinks that racial profiling will not occur because of the new Arizona law that will take effect is living in a different world.
I periodically visit relatives in Nogales, and the Department of Homeland Security presence is heavily present. Talk shows, politicians and media sound as if the borders are wide open, and border towns pictured as the old lawless West.
Yes, I support resolutions against Arizona. Just like our United States supported sanctions against South Africa. I am a Vietnam veteran and proud of my country.
Hector E. Meneses
Whittier

Buying Arizona
I was recently on Amazon looking for some science videos for my 4th grade classroom. I was lucky to find the videos I wanted and had several venders from which to choose. Which one did I choose? The one that was based in Arizona, of course. Just trying to do my part to support a state that is attempting to enforce a law that the federal government also has, but doesn't enforce.
Susan Sherman
Covina

Mind own business
California cities should mind their own business on what is done in Arizona.
That state was responding to a serious problem that most California cities don't experience.
As an immigrant from Central America I feel that the illegal immigrant problem should be addressed more strongly by the federal government and that a national identification card should be issued to all residents who are legal.
That's what people in my home country have, just like most other countries. Immigration is great but must be done orderly and according to immigration laws. I waited in line, took the tests and eventually became an American citizen; it was a very proud moment in my life.
Virginia Paris Karsch
South Pasadena

Don't boycott own
This boycott resolution nonsense makes my blood boil. This is none of their business. They don't speak for me! They should be spending their precious time dealing with the problems in their own cities.
Arizona is doing what it needs to do to address the horrible situation its citizens are facing every day with the illegal alien invasion. Enough is enough for them.
Imagine boycotting your own, in this economy, in favor of people who break the law. Everything's backward, now. Political correctness rules and will be the downfall of this nation.
Kathy O'Neill
Temple City
There are plenty more comments all supporting Arizona.
http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/ci_15141464