PDA

View Full Version : How to make money off of Arizona's law

Jeanfromfillmore
04-27-2010, 05:48 PM
This question can be seen emblazoned on tee shirts, decals, and mugs as a response to Arizona's new Immigration Law. My question is Whats The Big Deal? It is already a Federal crime to enter the United States ILLEGALLY. This just makes it a state crime in Arizona as well. I mean in every other country visitors have to prove their resident status if asked, so why should it be any different in America or even Arizona for that matter?
And I love all the fuss: The President saying that the Arizona law is "misguided" and highlights the need for immigration reform. (so that we don't have a repeat of this law in other states) And then there is attorney general Eric Holder saying that the law "was unfortunate." In San Francisco they are talking about boycotting the state.Al Sharpton is on the way to lead marches and Linda Greenhouse, the esteemed legal affairs commentator of The New York Times, says she will boycott Arizona because, she says, it's now a police state where, "breathing while undocumented" is a crime.
All this is in reaction mainly to two passages of the new Arizona Immigration Law:
One provides when police are engaged in "lawful contact" with someone where there is "reasonable suspicion" the person is an illegal alien, that the police shall make a "reasonable attempt... when practicable" to determine the person's immigration status.
The other provision makes it a crime to be in Arizona illegally. This is the part that Greenhouse says makes breathing while undocumented a crime. And the reason for this tough law? Because federal authorities have for decades failed to enforce national immigration law as written, so Arizona state lawmakers had to make an effort to stop criminal entry of the country and enforce some border security measures.
So why do you think this law is dangerous? Or do you think it is just what the doctor ordered?
http://www.whtc.com/blogs/post/rkingman/2010/apr/27/do-i-look-illegal/