PDA

View Full Version : Immigrant smuggling raids hit Texas bus companies

Jeanfromfillmore
02-06-2010, 11:15 AM
Immigrant smuggling raids hit Texas bus companies
HOUSTON (AP) -- Federal agents have raided more than a dozen bus companies in Houston they say dispersed illegal immigrants across the U.S. in wide-reaching smuggling networks.
Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials say 14 businesses were targeted this week, including one that used armed guards and pit bulls to hold immigrants in a stash house.
ICE Assistant Secretary John Morton says 22 people were charged with conspiracy to transport illegal immigrants, which carries a maximum 10-year prison sentence and $250,000 in fines. ICE agents also detained 81 suspected illegal immigrants.
Morton says the companies charge up to $650 for a one-way ticket and pay $200 to $300 to smugglers per immigrant. Morton says Houston has become a hub and the raids followed a three-month investigation.
http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/national/MI142959/

ilbegone
02-06-2010, 12:03 PM
They shouldn't stop there.

Lots of human smuggling done by coyotes disguising themselves as taxi companies.

I saw a caravan of "Christian Elementary Schools" on the 10 freeway filled with working age Latino men from 16 to 60 a couple or so years ago.

Some might call my last observation "stereotyping", but I liken it to this:

If you see someone walking out of a liquor store carrying a black bag with a magazine in it, sure, it might be a National Geographic. But there is 99.99999 percent chance is that it came from the "Adults Only" rack.